Bertoli Mitchell arranges the sale of Vathek Publishing to SAGE
Los Angeles, CA (September 2014)
<< back to transactions
Bertoli Mitchell is pleased to announce the sale of legal journal publisher Vathek Publishing Limited to SAGE Publications Limited. Bertoli Mitchell acted on behalf of Vathek’s founder and owner Lilli Waterford, helping to structure the transaction, and providing strategic and commercial advice throughout the process.
Vathek Publishing, incorporated in the Isle of Man in 2000 by Lilli Waterford, is best known for supporting academics and law practitioners with cutting edge research and practical evaluation. Vathek Publishing's portfolio includes some of the flagship academic journals within common law, policing, criminal law, evidence law and environmental law. The acquisition results in Vathek Publishing's entire journal portfolio of six titles becoming a part of SAGE's journal program, including all of the following titles:
- The Journal of Criminal Law: a practical tool for students, lecturers and practitioners alike, providing detailed analysis of what is happening in the courts at every level.
- The Police Journal: Theory, Practice and Principles: reflects the constantly changing landscape within which policing operates.
- Common Law World Review: forum for in-depth analysis of major legal developments throughout common law world.
- Environmental Law Review: forum for critical discussion of current and developing ideas in the environmental law.
- International Journal of Police Science & Management: original empirical work, conceptual articles and theoretical overviews or reviews, as well as articles on good practice or practice evaluation.
- The International Journal of Evidence & Proof: scholarly journal which aspires to be a truly international, interdisciplinary forum for reporting, evaluating and debating the latest developments in evidence, proof and procedure broadly conceived.
Speaking of the acquisition, Ziyad Marar, SAGE’s Global Publishing Director commented:
"SAGE is delighted to welcome Vathek's publishing portfolio of highly regarded legal journals. The six titles represent some of the best international research within the legal discipline and are a great fit and complement to our growing range of titles within this sector. Through the publication of case notes, critical methodologies, surveys and practice evaluation, these titles help to support the strength of academic debate between academia and the practice of law and criminal justice. We look forward to using SAGE's global reach and international sales and marketing presence to substantially increase the profile, visibility and accessibility of these important titles."
Founder Lilli Waterford remarked:
"I am delighted to be handing Vathek and its journal portfolio to SAGE, one of the leading academic publishers, who I am confident will nurture the academic growth of the editorial and research base of these journals. There is great digital development and marketing opportunity with these six titles and SAGE has the foresight, market presence and infrastructure to ensure the journals’ innovative development and long and productive future. I look forward to seeing their development and the journals' continued input into the wider academic field and important legal and policing research disciplines."